Re: [[RFC] Netcfg add support for WPA 0/4]

(No need to CC me; I read the list.)

On Wednesday 07 May 2008, Glenn Saberton wrote:
> Frans Pop wrote:
> > AFAICT your patches assume that wpasupplicant is available.
> > Do you also have a patch to add a udeb for that?
> > If so:
> > - what size is it (both the udeb itself and when installed)?
> > - please send that patch for review as well.
>
> Will do. Though some advice in this regard would be appreciated. As far
> as I can see, we can cut it down by a bit by not building clients and
> ommiting certain options like eap.

As I don't practically nothing about WPA, I personally have no advise to
give. Basically what we need is something that is as small as possible, but
functional for all (or at least all common) use cases and hardware.

However, if it would be good you can give an overview of the options and
also of the dependencies that would be pulled in (libraries?, extra kernel
modules?).

> > I'm not sure whether we should maybe check whether wpasupplicant is
> > available or not and only offer the option to use WPA if it is.
>
> Whatever the d-i team deems suitable I will try and write around.

Whether this is strictly necessary depends very much on the size of the
wpa-supplicant and other needed udebs. But in general we try to be flexible
in D-I and leave support for things optional if possible, so IMO it would
be good to have the check anyway.

Cheers,
FJP