Re: Custom driver image for etch

Op 14-04-2008 om 13:46 schreef Paul Civati:
> Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
> > Basically, there are many ways to do this. But if you want to do something
> > complex, you'll need to invest the time to learn how yourself.
> > If you do find something that works for you and is not documented yet,
> > adding it to the wiki would be appreciated.
>
> No problem, I was looking for some pointers really, but had assumed
> that as the installer had the option for requesting additional images
> that there was some supported/defined way of doing it.
>
> Perhaps there should be?
>
> If Debian is competing for market share with other platforms then
> wouldn't it be beneficial if there was a fairly simple technique
> for vendors to create an image or other media, for getting a custom
> driver into the kernel for installation and thereafter.
>
> Not to compare to Redhat because I'm not a fan ;) but they do have
> a fairly simple form for third party images that can be pulled in
> from floppy, CD, network, kickstart, etc.  It would be great to
> see something similar in the Debian installer.

Patches are welcome

short story long:

Debian-Installer is free software:
* you have the freedom to use it
* you have the freedom to study it
* you have the freedom to modify it

If someone wants to add integration of easy inclusion of kernel modules
who are not yet in the mainline kernel, someone is free to do so.
There is need for a permission to spend resources on such effort.

So scratch your itch[1]

Cheers
Geert Stappers

[1]"Every good work of software starts by scratching a developer's personal itch."
from http://catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s02.html