Re: 2.6.24 boot floppy

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 11:36:27AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Thursday 03 April 2008, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > With some optimizations which I won't accept for a non-di image:
> > | -rw-r----- 1 waldi waldi 1421596  3. Apr 10:26 bzImage.orig
> > | -rw-r----- 1 waldi waldi 1306108  3. Apr 10:35 bzImage.test
> 110kB is very nice.

New sizes:
| -rw-r----- 1 waldi waldi 1421820  3. Apr 11:56 size1/arch/x86/boot/bzImage
| -rw-r----- 1 waldi waldi 1298748  3. Apr 12:30 size2/arch/x86/boot/bzImage

>                     What's the .config diff for that?

Disable AUDIT, PARAVIRT_GUEST, SECURITY, SECURITY_FILE_CAPABILITIES.
Make PACKET, UNIX modular.

> I guess we're talking about a special flavor either for the installer then?

Yes. There is just one problem, I won't build a deb for it.

> Or maybe we could use this just as a special kernel for floppy installs if
> that kernel is still ABI compatible with modules from the 486 flavor.

Nope. Two large changes (PARAVIRT, SECURITY) are ABI incompatible.

Bastian

--
Is truth not truth for all?
		-- Natira, "For the World is Hollow and I have Touched