Re: D-I and busybox 1.9.1 test results

On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 05:07:23PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> I found a few issues, some of which I could solve by modifying the
> configuration. The experimental package seems to have been using a default
> configuration for the udeb as debian/config/config.udeb (and config.deb) is
> empty...

Hu? Neither config.deb nor config.udeb are empty in the repo nor the
source package.

> 1) busybox opens tty5 to log init commands
> This can be prevented by setting CONFIG_FEATURE_INIT_SYSLOG=y.

Hmm.

> 2) the save-logs web server no longer works
> Two issues here:
> - netcat needs to be configured with additional options enabled:
>   CONFIG_NC_SERVER=y
>   CONFIG_NC_EXTRA=y

Okay.

> 3) the installer thinks it is running on serial console instead of a virtual
>    terminal

> This seems to be the most serious/structural issue. The problem is in
> /lib/d-i/detect-console (called by /lib/d-i-startup/S35term). This does a
> 'readlink /proc/self/fd/0) which used to return /dev/tty1, but now returns
> /dev/console, which makes detect-console conclude we are on serial console.

The other possibility is to remove this code and use own console
selection for the installer.

> I did not find any config option to solve this (which does not mean it does
> not exist.

FEATURE_INIT_SCTTY?

> Some highlights from the diff between the configs for the udeb:
> New options. Do we want to save some space by disabling this?
>    +CONFIG_SHOW_USAGE=y
>    +CONFIG_FEATURE_COMPRESS_USAGE=y

Needs testing.

Bastian

--
Another dream that failed.  There's nothing sadder.
		-- Kirk, "This side of Paradise", stardate 3417.3