Re: Beta1 missing decisions and possible timeline

On Sunday 03 February 2008, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> >>  - e2fsprogs inode size change
> >>
> >>    Lastest release[1] changed the default inode size to 256
> >>    bytes. This is not yet on lenny but is already available on sid and
> >>    will hit lenny in few days.
> >>
> >>    1. http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/e2fsprogs-release.html#1.40.5
> >>
> >>    Currently, there's a know problem with GRUB[2] and the safest
> >> solution is to change the current inode size back to 128 bytes using
> >> -I option of mke2fs for Beta1 release and then work on GRUB or GRUB2
> >> to support it for lenny Beta2 release with 256 bytes again.
> >>
> >>    2. http://bugs.debian.org/463236
> >
> > What about the option to just apply the recent patch from Stefan
> > Lippers-Hollmann to grub and go with that? I very much disliked the
> > reaction from Robert basically saying that the patch would not even be
> > considered because grub was dead.
> > AFAIK, grub is still very much the major bootloader for x86 and issues
> > such as this definitely should be resolved.
>
> Yes, Robert will handle it for us.

Great.

BTW. I guess this change is also going to break stable installs if we use
the Lenny installer for Etch+1/2...
I guess we'll have to hack things so that for Etch installs partitions will
be created with a 128 byte inode size. I'll see what I can do about that.