Re: (summary?) Re: [RFC] Support for using multiple CDs during installation

On Thursday 01 November 2007, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Frans Pop (elendil@planet.nl):
> Frans' proposal adds an extra question when doing CD installs, to
> prompt users whether they want to use another CD or not. This, even if
> they did choose a network mirror before.

Not quite. My proposal asks whether the user wants to use additional CDs
_before_ the mirror question is asked. In the patches I have prepared, the
flow would be:

1) 40cdrom generator
   install CD/DVD is scanned, unless its a businesscard
2) 41cdset generator
   if install CD/DVD is the first of a set, then ask if user wants to scan
   additional CD/DVDs (default is no)
   after a 2nd CD/DVD has been scanned, ask if user wants to scan another
   CD/DVD (slightly different worded question); repeated until user answers
   "no"
3) 50mirror generator
   ask if user wants to use a mirror; default and priority of the question
   depends on a number of factors, including installation method
4) 9x... generators
   ask if user wants to use security/volatile

Ad 3: choosing to use a mirror or not
I have not (yet) added the number of CD/DVDs scanned as a factor, but that
could be done; I'm not sure yet if that really makes sense.

Ad 4: using security/volatile
Currently we only ask this at medium/low priority which makes it somewhat
hard _not_ to use these mirrors. We could decide to raise the priority of
this question to high if multiple CD/DVDs have been scanned.

> Joeyh's argument is being reluctant to extra questions and decide that
> users who did choose a network mirror will, by definition, not want to
> use extra CDs. He therefore proposes to partly "hide" the decision of
> scanning extra CD's in the question about network mirror. If users did
> choose a network mirror, then don't prompt them about extra CDs.

Correct. So the flow would become:

1) 50cdrom generator
   install CD/DVD is scanned, unless its a businesscard
2) 50mirror generator
   ask if user wants to use a mirror; default and priority of the question
   depends on a number of factors, including installation method
3) 51cdset generator
   Only if the user has selected _not_ to use a mirror and if install CD/DVD
   is the first of a set, then ask if user wants to scan additional CD/DVDs
   after a 2nd CD/DVD has been scanned, ask if user wants to scan another
   CD/DVD (slightly different worded question); repeated until user answers
   "no"
4) 9x... generators
   ask if user wants to use security/volatile

> [...], I tend to favourize (en?) Frans approach, here.

favour :-)