Re: New templates for lilo-installer far from perfect

Hi!

Sorry for the hasty changes.  I am still trying to understand the right
processes and well, it would be very kind if someone could give me (or
point me to) a step-by-step guide on how to deal with template changes.

On Mon, Oct 01, 2007 at 06:49:17AM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
>  Please enter the device name of the partition or disk onto which LILO should
>  be installed (example:/dev/hda or /dev/sda1).
>
> I also think the comment is useless....while "advanced people" is an
> idea I don't really like.

It is a question for people who wants to manually point LILO to the boot
device.  lilo-installer should prompt for the correct boot devices by
itself on the screen before.

But even if I know what "/dev/hda" is, without an example, I might be
tempted to use GRUB syntax "(hd0)" or just "hda" (without using the
the full path).  IMHO, this worth having an example.

> Template: lilo-installer/serial-console
> Type: note
>  LILO is configured to use serial port ${PORT} as the console.
>  ${PORT_SPEED}
>
> Having the port speed alone in a sentence is grammatically incorrect.

Maybe this was not the good thing to do either, but "${PORT_SPEED}" is
replaced by the content of the "lilo-installer/port-speed" template
_only_ in the case where the speed of the serial port was specified on
the command-line.

The previous template resulted in ${SPEED} being empty if no speed was
specified on the installer command-line, which was an issue introduced
in lilo-installer/1.22.

> I also would like to know the rationale about interrupting the
> installation at medium priority to display a note. OK, this was maybe
> there already but my feeling is that this note is not really useful
> (that's debatable).

This note has been introduced has a fix for #191588.  I don't have a
precise opinion on its usefulness though.

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism