Re: [D-I] Status of console-setup switch

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 08:56:18AM +0300, Damyan Ivanov wrote:

> - -=| Anton Zinoviev, 10.08.2007 18:26 |=-
> > Where did you chose "Bulgarian Phonetic"?  In console-setup's debconf
> > question of in console-cyrillic?  (I suppose both should have asked.)
>
> I am not sure which one it was, but I am sure that was asked only once.

Then I am presuming the questions were asked by console-cyrillic.

> > The question about the Bulgarian keyboard variant is asked with high
> > priority.  Maybe I should change it to critical priority?
>
> I support any priority that guarantees that the question gets asked
> during the "normal" (as opposed to "expert") install. The layouts are so
> different that people that are used to the one of them are completely
> helpless when faced with the other.

Hmm, now I noticed that console-cyrillic also asks the layout question
with 'high' priority (not 'critical').  Which means I don't know why
console-setup didn't ask you.  If I do 'dpkg --purge console-setup &&
apt-get install console-setup' everything is asked the way it should.

The priority of the question asked by console-setup depends on the
following:

   * By default 'critical' for all locales

   * If debian-installer/keymap is set, then console-setup tries to
     find proper defaults and asks with 'high' priority for Bulgarian
     and 'medium' priority for other languages.

   * If console-setup/layoutcode is set, then 'medium' priority.  This
     is for preseeding in the udeb but since I want the udeb to be
     identical with the non-udeb, the non-udeb reads this too.

   * If /etc/default/console-setup exists, then 'medium' priority.

> Thank you for your comments so far. I'll get some more tests done and
> report back. On a related note, can you recommend any better testbed
> than qemu? qemu takes ages (>1h) to do the install and really hogs the
> system during that time.

Have you tried "modprobe kqemu"?

Maybe another option is VirtualBox.  This is a proprietary emulator,
but it has a limited version released under GPL and I suppose this
limited version has enough features for most d-i related tests and is
faster than QEMU.  It is not included in Debian but on their side
there is a Debian package.  I haven't tried it.

Anton Zinoviev