D-I RM ToDo (was: Debian Installer Status Update - August 10th 2007)

On Friday 10 August 2007, you wrote:
> Thanks. Uploaded.

A few other things that need doing:

- The upload of apt-setup is just one. There are many udebs with pending
  uploads currently. I used to go through them periodically and do mass
  uploads (after checking for potential problems and if needed checking
  with the authors of changes!). Either someone else needs to do that,
  or people will need to upload their own changes more...
  I also used to do a few careful installation tests after such uploads
  to check for regressions.

- Colin recently fixed a bug in debconf [1] that was causing hangs during
  pkgsel/tasksel on multi-processor systems. This is a bug that affects
  Etch as well and the fix should probably be backported for the next
  stable release. But you first need to try to get confirmation from bug
  submitters that it really is fixed now as Colin was never able to
  actually reproduce the issue. Dann Frazier may be able to help with that
  as he could reproduce it.
  As debconf 1.5.14 is now in testing, getting users to test it should be
  easy. Note that there have been a _lot_ more reports about this issue than
  the one closed by Colin. Finding some of them, merging the BRs with
  #425397 and asking the submitters to test a daily image is probably very
  worthwhile.
  This really is a serious issue and BR severity should probably be updated
  to reflect that (will also help to get the change accepted for stable :-)

- Both for stable and oldstable there will be new D-I images with the next
  point release. These are currently in (oldstable-)proposed-updates [2].
  I have done some basic testing, but the following is still needed:
  - make sure the new images actually are included in the release !!!
  - check that release announce the changes correctly [3]
  - do full tests after the release, both for netboot and CD images;
    I could only do partial tests myself because you cannot download
    kernel udebs until after the release
  - Update errata pages for D-I and debian-cd for oldstable and stable !!!
  - update the images at [4], at lease the netboot and floppy ones

[1]  debconf (1.5.14) unstable; urgency=low
   * Make sure that apt status commands and debconf protocol commands under
     debconf-apt-progress are properly interleaved. Closes: #425397
[2]
http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/proposed-updates/main/installer-<arch>/
http://ftp.nl.debian.org/debian/dists/olstable-proposed-updates/main/installer-<arch>/
[3] http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2007/06/msg00197.html