Re: d-i Customization

Craig Block <chblockdb@yahoo.com> writes:

> Before d-i, Boot Floppies would just grab whatever image was in the directory
> tree and install it, no questions asked.  It was only a matter of dropping-in
> your own image.  Pretty simple.  It would be a great help if d-i provided an
> option to do something similar.  As it stands, d-i pidegeon holes you into
> using only what Debian makes available.  And, if history is any indication,
> Debian tends to wallow behind on kernel releases.

You can use live-installer to make d-i to install a image as
boot-flippies was doing before d-i.

> When I say, "exclude," I mean, "do not install."  I can force d-i to do that
> by removing entries from the status and Package files.  Not a graceful
> solution but it seems to work without issue other than a few squawks in the
> syslog about missing packages.

Yes.

> I wanted to avoid building from source and customizing from that end, but I
> may have a go at it and see how that works out for me.

live-installer might be a solution if you want a "copy". It's not
integrated on d-i released on stable but shouldn't be hard to port it
to it.

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116