Re: d-i Customization

--- Otavio Salvador <otavio@debian.org> wrote:

> udeb_{include,exclude} is meant to be used to instruct d-i to load or
> not something "by default" but d-i also loads a lot of modules that
> are standard or required.
>
> You can to change the set of d-i modules that're included on the CD
> changing the files on debian-cd before you make the iso.

I've pretty much done that already.  I run a post-installation script that
copies over most of the system configuration and handles package installation
using a partial mirror on hard disk.  I don't need d-i to load some of its
standard udebs like like apt-mirror-setup, pkgsel, netcfg, etc.  As you said,
the exclude_deb file does not provide control over standard or required
udebs.  It would be convenient if it could.  If that's not possible, another
mechanism that could provide single point control over udeb loading would be
nice.  I can make d-i to do what I want with brute force and ignorance, but
it would be good if there was a better way.

A reasonable argument would be that d-i is not something normally run very
often so why go to the trouble of making a custom installation.  In my case,
I can do installations relatively often.  I have a couple scratch boxes that
may get reloaded anytime with various operating systems.  I like to get the
load times down as short as possible and d-i is pretty fun to tinker with
anyway.

Thanks

The fish are biting.