Re: d-i Customization

On Saturday 14 July 2007 12:03, Craig Block wrote:
> I'm attemping to set up a custom network d-i CD for a new computer.
> Nothing critical, just a machine I might want run Debian once in a
> while.  I need the CD to boot with and install a newer kernel verison
> (for chipset/disk support).  Unfortunately, it appears to be a pretty
> involved task with d-i.  It would be helpful if the d-i team could
> devise a way to make that easier.

If you have ideas for that, they would be very welcome. Except for
updating the documentation on the wiki [1], I don't really see what could
be done about it.

[1] Which is really needed, but well, a wiki is supposed to be maintained
by the community...

> The documentation in the Wiki says that I should be able to exclude
> udebs using ./.disk/udeb_exclude.  I was dissapointed to find that
> doesn't seem to work.  I can exclude udebs by removing their entries in
> the the status and Package files, but I don't know if that's something
> the developers actually intended.  It sure would make things a lot
> easier if I could do it using udeb_exclude.

What exactly do you mean by "exclude"?
There are several levels of excluding things and points at which udebs
(and debs for that matter) can be excluded. It also depends very much on
the installation method you are using what is most appropriate and
effective.

Cheers,
FJP