Re: Notes from the "D-I future" BOF meeting at Debconf

2007/7/4, Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>:
-concern for translations

Installing fonts for all d-i supported languages. Current situation is
completely broken for many Indian languages when installing from a
CD/DVD, bandwidth is still an issue - and added to that the installer
does not ask to scan other disks, so even if you have all 3 DVDs and
the font is part of the language tasks you will get a system without
fonts if your language does not have glyphs in dejavu and you will be
greeted with many boxes as the installed sets your language selected
during installation as the default locale.

There could be many solutions

1) Having a mechanism to install fonts used by d-i (or at least the
font for language selected during installation).
2) Get all supported fonts in the first CD/DVD so that language tasks
will handle
 -  Create language-font task and have them included in first cd
3) Let the language tasks handle this and have the installer ask for
scanning the full CDs/DVD set if available. Frans has promised to look
into this after etch release and I hope this gets added. In that case
the user needs to have all the CDs/DVDs.
4) Add the missing language glyphs to dejavu. This looks a very good option.

Cheers
Praveen

--
പ്രവീണ് അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്