Re: [directfb-dev] GTK-DFB and libvte

On Thu, Jun 21, 2007 at 10:33:38AM +0200, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
> Adding a graphical terminal to the GTK frontend is in the wishlist [1]
> from a long time.
> In the past i successfully managed to have libvte running on top of
> gdk/dfb, but two things discouraged me from going further this road
>
> 1) Adding libvte and related stuff to the installer requires some non
> negligible space in the ISO

My observations ± 500 kB for libvte-udeb, libncurses-udeb and adding
FreeMono{,Bold}.ttf.  That sounded realistic for the graphical installer
but I might have missed something.

> 2) Need to mantain over time patches to vte: we already maintain the
> directfb flavour of gtk and that's already complicated enough

The only patch I had to apply was adding 2 missing includes in vte.c.
But I never manage to get anything useful though...  Did you had to
apply other patches?

Upstream seemed willing to help, so they might integrate patches if we
can provide them.

(btw, I should have sent you an email way earlier, but I was feeling
DebConf energy and the "hack thrill" pushed me a little bit forward ;))

Cheers,
--
Jérémy Bobbio                        .''`.
lunar@debian.org                    : :Ⓐ  :  # apt-get install anarchism