Newbie installing debian on NSLU2

I've read the installation instructions, http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/ - and have some questions. I would like to note that my primary use of the NSLU2 will be as a torrent client.

1) My first plan was to buy a "LaCie 500 GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive", http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-External-Design-Porsche-301103U/dp/B000H6CBA4 , but then I read that some drives have problem spinning down. I'm unable to find this information about the LaCie drive and was wondering if anyone knows anything about that? Or, are there any recommended drives to use with the NSLU2? Pref 500 GB.

2) In which USB port should I put the primary drive?

3) I've read that NSLU2 could run out of available memory when installing. I've read this page http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/DebianInstallerDisconnectsSSH and was wondering

3a) a user say: "I got it to work on a 500GB partition by using "modprobe -r" to unload the fat and vfat drivers". He also say: "when creating the partitions DO NOT USE sector 0"

At what step should I do this, and how can I unload the fat/vfat-drivers/ixp4xx_beeper? Does this mean that I don't have to create a swap partition? Should this be done in the first or second terminal window?

3b) Will the swap space be used after the install? If yes, I guess that will be a problem for the drive if I keep it on all the time? How can I prevent that?

Kia