Re: About console-setup in d-i

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 12:00:01PM -0300, Otavio Salvador wrote:

> I can help on it if need. I not so fluent on C but I have good skills
> on it, at least.

Great!

> What can I help on it?

At present this package seems to be in more or less a good state.  I
never had to maintain it so I don't know what it will require in long
term but I suppose it shouldn't be a difficult task.

The upstream doesn't issue new versions very often, the current
version is from 17 Jan 2004.  The Debian package applies several
patches, most of them are very simple.  Unfortunately I don't know
which of them have been sent to the upstream and which have not.

The package receives bug report very rarely, it doesn't require often
uploads.

At present it has 5 open bugs.  I haven't checked if #399531 is really
a bug, but if it is, it should be easy fo fix it.  The other four bugs
are agains the openvt utility (#190385, #190386, #190387 and #61559);
they are very old (over 4 years and even over 7 years for one of
them).

I haven't talked to the upstream and I don't know how responsible he
is.  According to BTS one of the bugs against openvt has been
forwarded to the upstream, the rest have not been.

The package is hosted at alioth:

http://alioth.debian.org/projects/pkg-kbd/

If you are going to be a comaintainer of kbd, then perhaps I should
add you there as admin.  The sources are on svn.debian.org:

svn co 'svn+ssh://USERNAME@svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-kbd'

Or anonymously:

svn co 'svn://svn.debian.org/svn/pkg-kbd'

The current maintainer of kbd is 'Console utilities maintainers' with
e-mail address pkg-kbd-develATlists.alioth.debian.org.  This is a
mailing list with only 4 members and about 10-15 spam messages per
month recently.  I don't know if it is possible to reduce the number
of spam messages by changing the settings of the mailing list.
Archives:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-kbd-devel/

Anton Zinoviev