Re: usplash in desktop task?

On Wednesday 09 May 2007 20:24, Joey Hess wrote:
> Frans Pop wrote:
> > I agree with that. One my desktop I currently get a fat red FAILED
> > during shutdown because an LVM volume cannot be unmounted as it is in
> > use (or maybe it is still #402511, I have not investigated).
> > Totally stupid.
>
> I'm not sure what's totally stupid about this, but any stupidity seems
> limited to this script, /etc/init.d/lvm2, and not to the lsb init
> script interface.

Oh, I agree. However, the colors and the huge FAILED do make such a
relatively minor issue a lot more disturbing and confusing, especially
for new users.

The extra confusion may even in the long run be a good thing as it may
incite maintainers to care a bit more about such false errors, but
handling every possible corner case may also lead to an disproportionate
increase in complexity in init scripts. I guess we'll have to see how it
works out.