Re: usplash in desktop task?

David Härdeman ha scritto:
On Tue, May 08, 2007 at 10:24:01PM +0200, Attilio Fiandrotti wrote:
Otavio Salvador ha scritto:
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> writes:

My standpoint is that installing (or at least activating) splashy should only be done if it is *known* beforehand that the display will be correct.
usplash uses bogl, same as d-i, so if d-i worked in framebuffer mode,
I'll bet that usplash will also work. Until I see a system where it
doesn't anyway. :-) Systems installed using g-i also seem likely to support
usplash.

AFAIK g-i uses dfb and on this case splashy would work ;-)

If usplash uses bogl and bogl uses framebuffer, then usplash will work almost anywhere g-i does. It wont't work on i386 and amd64 systems where the video chip is not supported by vesafb (see #405737).

AFAIK, usplash has two backends, svgalib and bogl...and I believe that usplash works with both vesafb and vga16fb as well as chipset-specific fb drivers...

iirc, we have vga16fb always up, even if vesafb is not, so if you can make usplash run on vga16fb only, there should be no problem on x86.
Infact, iirc, vga16fb is much more compatible than vesafb.

Attilio