Re: usplash in desktop task?

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@ieee.org> writes:

>> However, who *really* uses that information in normal situations?
>
>         Well, not all the world is exactly like you.  I routinely "use"
>  the information.

While I agree that noone has same desires and needs I also think that
the default installation  should focus on _regular_ _user_ and not a
hacker.

A hacker has the need knownledge to change his/her system to fulfill
the needs _after_ it gets installed or using the expert mode and
selection what'll be installed.

If we'll start to use the hackism way of doing things while selecting
what's being installed by default I would then choose dwm (instead of
GNOME) and add some SCMs too ;-)

>> So, why not offer them as easily as possible to our users? Which
>> means, yes, activate them by default. That is certainly more marketing
>> stuff than deeply useful stuff but marketing and appealing
>> presentation also counts.
>
>         I find this strange.  There is information presented to me durng
>  boot, which has some (perhaps marginal) value.  Pretty colors are
>  mostly contentless, so have _less_ value, at the very least, they
>  contribute nothing.
>
>         Why should the default be an option with less value?

Well, maybe because majority of users start to use a system because
they think it's beautiful and neat? :-D

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116