Re: usplash in desktop task?

Frans Pop wrote:
> My point is that IMO that behavior (not displaying anything) is not
> acceptable as it would mean the user is completely blind in case of boot
> problems after the installation without _any_ clues as to what could be
> wrong.
>
> As an example, we are getting a fairly steady flow of reports of "the
> system hangs" for sparc when the only problem is that video output is
> being directed to an inactive video card.
>
> My standpoint is that installing (or at least activating) splashy should
> only be done if it is *known* beforehand that the display will be
> correct.

usplash uses bogl, same as d-i, so if d-i worked in framebuffer mode,
I'll bet that usplash will also work. Until I see a system where it
doesn't anyway. :-) Systems installed using g-i also seem likely to support
usplash.

Making debian-installer/framebuffer=false disable usplash would probably
be a good idea.

--
see shy jo