Re: About console-setup in d-i

On Friday 27 April 2007 15:04, Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> > Can you give some idea of what would be needed? Some questions I
> > have:
> > - would we still need kbd-chooser, or is there a replacement
>
> We need it only during the first stage; the udebs replace it.

Sorry, but I don't understand this [1] at all. You seem to be saying that
we will still need kbd-chooser in D-I and at the same time that the
console-setup udebs replace it...

Could you explain again what will be used to select a keymap in the
installer when we switch to console-setup? Does console-setup provide
something that replaces kbd-chooser?

I don't think we should make any changes before this is clear. If we make
a switch to console-setup, we should IMO make it for both the installer
itself and for the installed system, and also for all languages.
Using both will only create a maintenance and troubleshooting nightmare.

To be honest, I'm less worried about translation issues. Getting that
working should be relatively easy once we have the technical part
implemented.

Cheers,
FJP

[1] Talking about "first stage" does not really make any sense anymore.
The whole installation now takes place before the reboot: there is no
longer a "second stage" with base-config. It _does_ make sense to
distinguish between things that happen in the D-I environment and in
the /target chroot.