Debian 4.0 and VMWare Workstation 6: Installer hang

Hi everybody,

I´ve a bizarre hangup situation here when using Debian Etch as a guest in VMWare Workstation 6.0 RC2. This seems to be connected to the Debian netinst kernel somehow.
But first, here is what I did:

1. downloaded http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/4.0_r0/i386/iso-cd/debian-40r0-i386-netinst.iso
2. connected debian-40r0-i386-netinst.iso to VMWare´s CD-ROM drive
3. powered up VMWare Workstation 6.0 RC2

This happened:

1. Grub screen appears
2. Debian installer shows "Debian swirl" at top of screen
3. When I press ENTER, the installer´s kernel just hangs with
"Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel"

This hang does also happen, if I open a VMWare image (which contains Debian stock kernel 2.6.18) I created elsewere.

My host machine is an AMD Athlon 900 MHz sytem running Windows 2000.

Note, this error does NOT appear under one of the following circumstances:
1. If using VMWare Workstation 5.5 instead of 6.0 RC2
2. If using a host machine with another CPU (e.g. Intel Core 2 cpu, host os "Windows Vista")
3. If using Debian 3.1 installer from e.g. http://ftp2.de.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/main/installer-i386/current/images/floppy/boot.img

Does someone has a clue?
VMWare just responded Debian Linux is an unsupported os, so it´s not their task to get this running. Running unsupported linux distros is not a "must", from their point of view, but only a "nice to have", especially with a release candidate version of VMWare.

Thanks in advance,
Andi