Re: About console-setup in d-i

Quoting Anton Zinoviev (anton@lml.bas.bg):
> On Tue, May 01, 2007 at 02:29:10PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> >
> > Well, that would have needed a plan, which didn't really happen. The
> > manpower for console handling in D-I is very scarce.
>
> The patch is attached.  It activates console-setup for the non-Latin
> languages as well as for some Latin.  I suppose there are more Latin

I suggest we first activate c-s for only one language. Which one do
you suggest? Bulgarian would be fine as you could test stuff..:-)

> languages that require console-setup, but the only three I noticed are
> Esperanto (no keyboard), Lithuanian (the keyboard should work as if it
> is non-Latin) and Vietnamese (no font, no keyboard).  Console-setup
> supports also the following official in at least one country non-Latin
> languages: Armenian and Amharic (both are missing in languagelist).

Armenian and Amharic are under work (slow for Amharic and in the new
language process for Armenian). Is there a console font for Armenian?

> > How? Just replace "apt-install console-cyrillic" by "apt-install
> > console-setup" in localechooser's finish-install script?
>
> First this and second - unset the value of the debian-installer/keymap
> debconf template.  (Otherwise console-setup won't ask questions about
> the keyboard layout.)

So, we can at least apply your patch to localechooser, right (limiting
it to bg)?

> > > The most important change in d-i before the udebs of console-setup can
> > > be used is that console-setup needs 'loadkeys'.  This means that the
> > > console maintainers will have to make an udeb with loadkeys.
> >
> > You mean a udeb from console-tools, named "console-tools-udeb", with
> > only loadkeys?
>
> Yes.
>
> > If so, we should file this against console-tools.
>
> Or it can be filed against 'kbd'.

Well, kbd was maintained by Denis if I believe the Uploaders
field...and Denis is no longer here...while Alastair who maintains
console-tools is active (not a lot, but active, still).