Re: Etch netinstaller has no eth0 in qemu

Uwe Dippel wrote:
> On 3/4/07, Uwe Dippel <udippel@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I'll try another download.
>

> Which takes around one day in MY ... .
>
> Just for curiosity, I used the real(== from CDROM) Sarge-netinstaller of
> years ago. It goes through smoothly.
> Now I think to stick with it, install it, change the sources.list. It
> should
> result in just the same Etch, right ?

Well, not quite. There are some fine differences beween the two
(e.g. ext3 on etch supports dir_index, some fine tuning and better
driver selection/hw detection work better with the Etch installer,
many rough edges have been polished), so is not quite the same.

Also note that will have to change the sources *after* you installed
sarge and that would mean extra traffic (if you prefer to install a
full desktop task, the sarge packages will be downloaded, then the
new ones will too). Changing before will probably not work due to
changes in the kernel and udev.

--
Regards,
EddyP