Etch netinstaller has no eth0 in qemu

Subject says it:
debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso (20070303) does not 'see' the eth0 offered by qemu. I have checked with dmesg | grep eth0, it is empty. It is no qemu problem, since in all other images I use: KNOPPIX, DSL, ... eth0, comes up properly. On the .iso as well as on the ensuing 'hard disk' installs, on both the Knoppix->Debian as well as DSL image. My qemu is of version 0.8.2. Except here.
So for me, the chance to test Etch netinstaller on qemu is out, alas.

Uwe