Bug#342076: marked as done (installation-guide: should give the right path to TFTP root directory)
Your message dated Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:55:03 +0000
with message-id <E1H6omF-0000Mh-Gl@ries.debian.org>
and subject line Bug#342076: fixed in installation-guide 20070115
has caused the attached Bug report to be marked as done.
This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
Bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.
(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what I am
talking about this indicates a serious mail system misconfiguration
somewhere. Please contact me immediately.)
Debian bug tracking system administrator
(administrator, Debian Bugs database)
--- Begin Message ---
X-debbugs-CC: Ross Boylan <RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org>
Below are reports by Ross Boylan for suggested changes to the
installation guide about PXE boot setup.
I confirm Ross comments about the real location of the tftpboot root
directory. I went on the issue myself but as I didn't read the
documentation, I didn't know it was wrong..:-)
----- Forwarded message from Ross Boylan <RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org> -----
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 16:10:39 -0800
Cc: Ross Boylan <RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org>
Subject: PXE booting documentation
From: Ross Boylan <RossBoylan@stanfordalumni.org>
X-Mailing-List: <email@example.com> archive/latest/95017
I just spent several hours trying, ultimately successfully, to get PXE
booting to work for an install. I believe the documentation is not
simply unclear, but actively misleading. Some better documentation
would be nice. In this message, I try to indicate what areas gave me
I used the instructions here:
1) Where do the files go?
The documentation says to use
in dchcpd.conf. It also (4.6.4) instructs you to put stuff in
/tftpboot. So I did.
But the tftpd-hpa package, installed on the advice of the guide, has
this in /etc/default/: OPTIONS="-l -s /var/lib/tftpboot".
I wasn't sure if that file was used when the program was started from
inetd rather than /etc/init.d/ (I choose the former), but it seems it
Things started working when I a) moved the files to /var/lib/tftpboot
and b) stripped the leading path components from the filename
designation in dchpd.conf.
2) What to do with the netboot.tar file? I followed the
instructions, but then got clever. I thought /debian-installer/i386/
was to be stripped out, and move the files accordingly (even though
there was a file name collision). In other Debian contexts, the top
levels of the directory tree are to be removed. Perhaps some advice
to leave the untarred files exactly as the are would be good.
Admittedly, if I just did as I was told I would have been fine :)
So I followed the instructions I should have ignored, and ignored the
instructions I should have followed.
3) It was unclear how to combine the examples (or if they were to be
combined) given at the start of 4.6.2 and 126.96.36.199
4) The documentation on dchp and tftp was hard to pin down. I
couldn't tell how names, or pathnames, were interpreted (though
references to chroot were a clue). In fact, the in.tftpd man page
lists a directory name as a required command line argument without, as
far as I could see, explaining what it did. There was a reference to
a directory for the -s option.
Maybe all these points are 2nd nature to those who work with these
things, and/or have read all the relevant RFC's, but a little more
guidance for the rest of us would be nice.
P.S. I had the old, v2, dhcp.
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-boot-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
----- End forwarded message -----
--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message ---
We believe that the bug you reported is fixed in the latest version of
installation-guide, which is due to be installed in the Debian FTP archive:
A summary of the changes between this version and the previous one is
Thank you for reporting the bug, which will now be closed. If you
have further comments please address them to email@example.com,
and the maintainer will reopen the bug report if appropriate.
Debian distribution maintenance software
Frans Pop <firstname.lastname@example.org> (supplier of updated installation-guide package)
(This message was generated automatically at their request; if you
believe that there is a problem with it please contact the archive
administrators by mailing email@example.com)
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 22:10:16 +0100
Binary: installation-guide-powerpc installation-guide-amd64 installation-guide-s390 installation-guide-ia64 installation-guide-mipsel installation-guide-arm installation-guide-mips installation-guide-sparc installation-guide-alpha installation-guide-i386 installation-guide-hppa
Architecture: source all
Maintainer: Frans Pop <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Changed-By: Frans Pop <email@example.com>
installation-guide-alpha - Debian installation guide
installation-guide-amd64 - Debian installation guide
installation-guide-arm - Debian installation guide
installation-guide-hppa - Debian installation guide
installation-guide-i386 - Debian installation guide
installation-guide-ia64 - Debian installation guide
installation-guide-mips - Debian installation guide
installation-guide-mipsel - Debian installation guide
installation-guide-powerpc - Debian installation guide
installation-guide-s390 - Debian installation guide
installation-guide-sparc - Debian installation guide
Closes: 248067 305977 342076 367861 370425 370484 378404 378651 380588 381657 384321 386591 388138 389516 394413 394471 394929 395910 397790 397923 397974 400263 402437 402439 402492 402857 403035
installation-guide (20070115) unstable; urgency=low
[ Colin Watson ]
* Document new pkgsel/include setting.
* Fix incorrect documentation on preseeding additional apt sources.
* Fix typo in hppa hardware support documentation
* Adjust chroot-install guide to take account of debootstrap being
Architecture: all now (https://launchpad.net/bugs/64765).
[ Frans Pop ]
* Various corrections suggested by Clytie Siddall and Holger Wansing.
Closes: #378404, #370484, #370425.
* Update instructions on how to set module parameters for PLIP installation.
* Update chroot install instructions to use aptitude instead of apt-get.
* Add /srv in overview of directory tree in partitioning appendix.
* Update section on partitioning using LVM to reflect recent changes.
* Apply various patches by or based on suggestions from Nathanael Nerode.
Some of the bigger changes include:
- Update of processor support for the i386 architecture.
- Update information on setting up a RARP server.
* Add variant for the AMD64 architecture. Closes: #305977.
* Suppress warnings about missing IDs for sections and such.
* Reorganize supported hardware table; i386 no longer has flavors.
* Document SMP-alternatives as one of the variants of SMP support.
* Document how to shut down the system. Based on patch from Holger Levsen.
[ Miroslav Kure ]
* Update information about booting with encrypted partitions.
[ Joey Hess ]
* Update preseeding docs to document listing more than one disk for
partman-auto/disk and grub-installer/bootdev
[ Changwoo Ryu ]
* Add support for Korean PDF output. Requires latex-hangul-ucs-hlatex.
[ David HÃ¤rdeman ]
* Update preseeding documentation for partman-auto.
[ Frans Pop ]
* Correct error for alpha netboot installations. Thanks to AurÃ©lien GÃ©rÃ¶me.
* Correct number of release arches. Thanks to Holger Wansing. Closes: #384321.
* Minor corrections suggested by Malcolm Parsons. Closes: #388138.
* Document new boot parameters theme and directfb/hw-accel.
* Remove now obsolete distinction between classic and common kpkg.
* Update all arches to kernel version 2.6.17.
* Set default value for manual_release in build wrapper scripts.
* Add new section in preseeding appendix on partman-auto-raid. Not included
in preseed text file as it is still somewhat experimental.
* Document changes in guided partitioning and added encrypted LVM support.
* Disable m68k for official builds as it is not a release architecture.
* buildweb.sh: use 'mv -f' to avoid errors during builds on the webserver.
* Minor corrections suggested by Clytie Siddall. Closes: #394413, #394471.
* Update task sizes as per D-I RC1.
* New troubleshooting section on how to deal with CD-ROM related problems.
* Document how to pass parameters to kernel modules on boot.
* Document how to install KDE instead of Gnome in the section on pkgsel.
[ Joey Hess ]
* Update for recent floppy changes.
* Remove hardcoded paths to executables in buildone.sh.
* Set HOME to a temporary directory before running w3m, to avoid it
trying to write to a home directory that may not exist on the buildds.
* Update the installation report template to match current one in
[ Philip Hands ]
* Clarify how -- affects which parameters end up in the target system's
bootloader's command line.
[ Joey Hess ]
* Applied Phil's auto mode documentation patch, edited it, and moved
some things around for clarity. Closes: #395910
* Document auto=true boot parameter.
[ Frans Pop ]
* Add condition "g-i" for arches that support the graphical installer.
* Document mouse/left boot parameter.
* Explain usage of "owner" prefix when setting values for debconf variables
intended for the target system at the boot prompt.
* Give some examples of preseeding questions from the boot prompt.
* Document how to install the KDE desktop environment instead of GNOME.
* Don't list unsupported frontends in boot parameters section.
* Minor corrections suggested by Tapio Lehtonen. Closes: #397790.
* Minor corrections suggested by Holger Wansing. Closes: #397974.
[ Martin Michlmayr ]
* Mention that RiscPC support is incomplete.
* Mention Intel IOP32x support.
* Talk about ixp4xx rather than the more specific nslu2.
[ Frans Pop ]
* Update all arches to kernel version 2.6.18.
* Minor corrections and some rewrites based on suggestions from
Clytie Siddall. Closes: #367861, #380588.
* Update Sparc specific information and document common installation issues
for Sparc. Many thanks to Jurij Smakov for reviewing the Sparc manual and
for his overview of issues.
* Etch ships with X.Org 7.1.
* Update number of developers, packages and mailing lists.
* General revision of minimum hardware requirements throughout the manual.
* Update of installed/download size of tasks.
* Document the graphical installer, including the main known issues.
* Avoid generating XML files multiple times for translations using PO files
when using build.sh or buildweb.sh sripts.
- Add note for m68k that it is not a release architecture for Etch.
- Remove ancient section on parity RAM. Closes: #403035.
- Update documenation for Sparc, based on patch by Jurij Smakov.
- PowerPC/APUS is currently not supported; removed from hardware table.
- Remove sun4cd (sparc32) from and add sun4v (sparc64) in hardware table.
- Rewrite of NIC support, document wireless support (for selected arches)
and explain issues surrounding drivers that require firmware.
- Clean out ancient hardware issues.
- Document anna/choose_modules and mirror/protocol boot parameters.
- Use a clearer way to list the short form of parameters.
- Document new option to blacklist kernel modules.
- Fix reference to Save debug logs menu option.
Thanks, Philippe Batailler. Closes: #402439.
- Add a note that installation reports will be published.
- All architectures that support TFTP booting also support DCHP, so remove
the "supports-dhcp" condition.
- According to the text, Alpha supports BOOTP.
- Use dhcp3-server for examples rather than dhcp (version 2).
- tftpd-hpa does not use /tftpboot by default; allow for this in examples.
- Extend description of lowmem installs based on a patch suggested by
Holger Wansing. Closes: #400263.
- Remove reference to apt guide (not installed by default) and obsolete
debian-guide. Thanks, Philippe Batailler. Closes: #402492.
- As lynx is no longer installed, suggest w3m as text based browser.
- Explain how to browse /usr/share/doc/ using a graphical web browser.
- Mention documentation packages.
- Clarify what happens on first boot and how to get help to in case of
- Remove section on reactivating Windows; the installer should detect it
automatically after all. Closes: #402437.
- Add extended section on email configuration (moved from using-d-i as
exim4 now configures for "local mail only" by default). Closes: #402857.
- Clarifications based on comments from Tapio Lehtonen and Holger Wansing.
- Changes suggested in review by Wiktor Wandachowicz. Closes: #394929.
[ Frans Pop ]
* Prepare for release. This release is mostly for testing purposes, the real
release targeted at Etch will be next week.
* Add and enable amd64 architecture.
* Update control file for dropped m68k and added amd64 architectures.
* Disable Catalan, Korean, Spanish and Brazillian translations as they are
not yet complete.
* Enable Finnish translation.
4b0077f8a3375e53eb75afb45cfa0ed9 1096 doc optional installation-guide_20070115.dsc
f3b87fb99a7a5c7a21dc9b9091efcc0c 6981323 doc optional installation-guide_20070115.tar.gz
bc1c27162b482a17e16e313e83ed4f60 9658894 doc optional installation-guide-alpha_20070115_all.deb
96573c2391e27943581577fb5fb30345 10857244 doc optional installation-guide-amd64_20070115_all.deb
6b7e760d7487767f95c9a3bec2a06883 9339222 doc optional installation-guide-arm_20070115_all.deb
c5f66e029e83be243587a983a5623f66 9012982 doc optional installation-guide-hppa_20070115_all.deb
d0ea716a7c366c6524e6b35052b59afd 11193704 doc optional installation-guide-i386_20070115_all.deb
0ec802051d3feaf826f54408ce302f13 9636772 doc optional installation-guide-ia64_20070115_all.deb
3ade5b6167325b49eff25fb77962e370 9149518 doc optional installation-guide-mips_20070115_all.deb
6da53052e21c88b99b3fc97457f07c31 9309658 doc optional installation-guide-mipsel_20070115_all.deb
54fc183386447687213fb00b98196a19 10742960 doc optional installation-guide-powerpc_20070115_all.deb
a8cc70444070b0fd84777cf5a1a7c063 8600416 doc optional installation-guide-s390_20070115_all.deb
5afa47cdd1a2859acf87a1bcc8b20fc0 9828986 doc optional installation-guide-sparc_20070115_all.deb
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
--- End Message ---