[#401876] Dictionaries-common sometimes prompts users during d-i

[Frans, Christian, I am also mailing debian-boot so you can track this bug.
Let me know if you think is not OK. Goswin, please keep both 401876 and
debian-boot in replies, unless otherwise asked]

Replying all,

*** On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 03:54:44PM +0100, Goswin Brederlow wrote:
> Package: debian-installer
> Version: etch RC1

> in D-I the user selects his language and everything is nice and
> localized during install. But then dictionaries-common pops up and
> asks what wordlist dictionary to use and the only choice is american
> (American English).
> I wrote the bug while installing and was a bit quick. As it turns out
> later during install the german dictionary gets installed and it asks
> again what dictionary should be default.
>
> So the package selection works fine. It just shouldn't ask I think. Or
> at least only ask once. Can this be preseeded?

This should have been done on dictionaries-common pre-configuration, and no
further prompt be displayed.

> The same problem repeated itself for ispell dictionaries but there it
> asked 3 times for american, british and german dictionaries.

Same here.

This a strange bug I could never reproduce. Both Frans and Christian have
experienced it, but randomly. Christian has found it more frequently, but I
could not reproduce it after his setup. Also, last Frans attempt did not
show the problem. However, it seems hidden somewhere and we still do not
know what makes it appear.

The only guess I made was the size of /var partition, but Christian used
a large one (~6GB) in a single partition scheme while the french
installation after his values was of ~2.5GB, so at least there the reason
must be other.

*** On Thu, Dec 07, 2006 at 01:01:35AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:

> Could you try reproducing this while installing *unstable* (you'll need a
> businesscard or netboot install in expert mode for that).
>
> If you add
>    export DICT_COMMON_DEBUG=1
> near the top of
>    /var/lib/dpkg/info/pkgsel.postinst
> you should get debugging info in the syslog for the installation.
> Please send that gzipped.

Although is clear that it was not the reason in Christian box, please also
send us info about partitioning schema (in particular, size of /var
partition), just in case. Some other useful info:

language/country
tasks installed

I might have time next Monday to try a qemu installation of the RC1 DVD
after your values. Cannot promise however, because it is rather slow and
will take some hours.

*** On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 07:33:17PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> This is a known bug in dictionaries-common. It is currently being
> dealt with by its maintainer (maybe even fixed in unstable).

Last unstable upload did only fix the selection (.UTF-8 was not stripped
from en_US.UTF-8 before trying an exact match), so I do not think it fixed
the multiprompt problem. However since some more debugging code was added
there, is convenient to use it.

Thanks all for the feedback. I hope we can definitely find what is causing
this bug.

--
Agustin