Re: No prep kernels in daily installer images?

On Sat, Dec 02, 2006 at 12:18:35AM +0100, Ulrich Teichert wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >Prep support is missing in 2.6.16 and 2.6.17 debian kernels. It is present in
> >2.6.18 kernels, with the -prep flavour, thanks to the work i did. I have not
> >had time to test them, so feedback on this would be welcome, but at least they
> >build.
> >
> >Please try the weekly cd builds (altough i never did manage to boot from cd),
> >or better yet the netboot daily builds :
> >
> >  http://people.debian.org/~wouter/d-i/powerpc/daily/prep/netboot/vmlinuz-prep.initrd
>
> OK, I'll give 'em a spin on Sunday - I have guests tomorrow (well, rather
> later today) and won't have time before.
>
> >You do have a powerstack II (in a beige housing) or a powerstack I (in a hifi
> >radio like black housing) ?
>
> It's a powerstack II. I have a powerstack I as well, but it got damaged
> during transport and does not boot right now - no idea if I will get this
> fixed. Is it even supported upstream?

The same kernel supports it, but you need a .ppcbug instead of the .prep boot
wrapper. I had access to some such in oldenbourg two years ago, and saw linux
boot on it.

If you ever bring it to work again, i would be very interested in having you
test the .ppcbug (which is currently not built, but which i can enable again
easily if there is a need) kernel wrapper, and give us some feedback on how
d-i works on it.

> >Also, note that you will need the -prep flavour, and no more the powerpc
> >flavour, since prep did not yet migrate to ARCH=powerpc (together with apus,
> >who is also disabled).
>
> Yeah, I know,

Cool,

Friendly,