Re: Draft release notes and errata for RC1 - please comment

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 09:54:52AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
> >  - you have two entries about oldworld powermacs floppy installs :
> >
> >    floppy installations for powerpc are broken because no device node
> > is created for the swim3 module
> >
> >    Oldworld powerpc boot floppies will not work as miboot is not
> > included
> >
> >    This wording is abysmal in confusion. And maybe they could be
>
> "Abysmal in confusion"? Please use more neutral wording in future,

Well, it is so. You seem to imply that only powermacs are powerpc machines,
that the floppies are available for all subarches, which is not the case. You
could also link to the miboot floppies builds or something such from there, or
mention at least that they are available elsewhere.

And even in the second draft, you didn't get the point.

(Note, that given the result of the decision on non-free kernel firmware, i
strongly believe that we should accept non-free miboot in the archive, which
would be only fair, especially, as there is an effort to free the miboot
code).

> e.g: "IMHO the wording could be improved". Although it is not even proper
> English, this is fairly insulting.

Ok, you know, this is the main problem. You expect me to be extremely nice to
you, but on the same time, you do insiduous bashing against me, in an even
worse way, attacking my technical skills. So, really, please consider doing
yourself what you expect others to do, and please stop taking offense from the
most minimal of things, like the above.

Also, please speak with others, there is a strong current of opinion in
debian, that is highly critical of this kind of attitude of yours. Please look
at past email archives to find evidence to that. I think people like Branden,
Manoj (not sure about him), and other "well respected" DDs have many times
said that it would be unacceptable for debian to become a sugary and mellowy
place, and that occasional harsh words and blunt speak should be acceptable.

But then, maybe there are what applies to the rest of the DDs doesn't apply to
me ?

> Any confusion and lack of progress on these issues is because of the
> general lack of interest from the powerpc community. Note that as far as

Ok, here i strongly disagree. There is interest from the powerpc community, i
agree that it is not hight, but the same is true for other arches, like sparc,
or s390, which just happen to work well, because you are interested in them,
but in general have not less active folk than powerpc.

I have interest in doing the work, but your outcasting and general mishanlding
of me clearly is not very motivating, and i have long time resisted to go the
fork way, which our DPL urged me to go. Furthermore, you rejected Aurelien
Gerome's in the same way you rejected me, while he is workin on yaboot, emile
(which would be useful on nubus machines, together with Wouter), and miboot
(working with Piotr and others to free miboot). Furthermore, people like
Holger, said i was the most obnoxious of DDs and they lost all interest in
powerpc, but then, they didn't pick up when i was outcase, and even before,
their participation was mostly anecdotic.

> I'm concerned this has little or nothing to do with the "conflict" with
> you; it is more a general problem with the powerpc port.

I disagree, the situation of powerpc has very much to do with your attitude,
expecting people to be humble and overly nice and respectful to you. If not
for this, and all the time that we all lost because of your stuborness, the
powerpc port would be in a much better shape.  It is not as if i didn't try
often enough to make peace, and work together, but no, it was never enough.

You did it, at least you should be honest enough to aknowledge your
responsabilities in this.

> (Please don't reply to this as it won't help anything. I already know how
> you feel about this.)

So, i should let you spread falsehood ? Right ? These issues will only change
the day you aknowledge your own part of responsabilities in this mess, the
same way i aknowledged mine, and thus decide to set it aside, and continue
again all together to work for the best interest of debian, instead of living
in remembrance of past disagreement.

> Anyway, I have modified the text somewhat.

But with still the same confusion i pointed to above.

> >  - works only on some PowerPC systems (most ATI graphics cards)
>
> I've modified the wording.
>
> > We could also mention architecture support changes :
> >
> >   - PowerPC: dropped support for powerpc/apus.
> >   - PowerPC: Added support for 64bit PowerPC architectures (IBM
> > pSeries, Apple G5 powermacs).
> >   - PowerPC: not supported : Apple Nubus and IBM pre-power5 Iseries.
> >
> > Well, to be complete, one could have the list of supported subarches
> > too :
> >
> >   - Apple newworld and G5 powermacs
> >   - IBM CHRP machines (RS6K, pseries, iseries, ...)
> >   - Genesi CHRP machines (Pegasos, maybe Efika)
> >   - PReP machines (IBM 43P-140, Motorola PowerStack, ...)
>
> The above is something for the Etch release notes, not for the RC1 release
> notes. Please file a bug report against the 'release-notes' pseudo
> package with a proposed text.

Ok.

> If prep is supported again with RC2 we could mention that in the RC2
> release notes.

PReP is waiting only the move to 2.6.18 kernels. I personally think doing an
RC1 with 2.6.17 was a waste of time, but hey, its your decision. Anyway, we
should move to 2.6.18 asap as soon as RC1 is out. I will then submit patches
for -prep inclusion, and they will be waiting beside the fancontrol patches
and the IBM power serial finish-install patch for you to find time to apply
them. Unless you realize finally the reidicoulness of all this, and let me do
it myself, or i forego the d-i svn repo, and just made the uploads like the
DPL suggested i do.

Friendly,

Sven Luther