Re: your mail about a Broadcom network card

Geert Stappers wrote:
> Op 12-11-2006 om 22:45 schreef Geert Stappers:
>> Op 12-11-2006 om 15:45 schreef George Pipkov:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We are having a Dell PowerEdge 2950 server with a Broadcom
>>> NetXtreme II 5708 network card, but it turned out that the
>  <snip/>
>> Where I do known that I'm not helping the original poster,
>> I also known that I'm helping him on the long run...
>
>>From http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/faq_drivers.php#97
>
> | For the NetXtreme and NetLink product lines, the tg3 driver is now the
> | only Linux driver that Broadcom will support. Accordingly, Broadcom has
> | discontinued support for the bcm5700 driver and no longer provides updates.

Hi

I checked the faq also. I read it as NetXtreme is only supported by tg3
but I think they only mean NetXtreme and not talking about NetXtreme II.

Could have been written in an clearer way. Geert You may be right and I
wrong.

NetXtreme II should be supported by module bnx2 I believe. Not totally
sure though.

A good list for dell issues and debian is this one:

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2006-October/027700.html

Here they discuss issues with bnx2 and debian with kernel 2.6.16. I
assume You are trying with etch.

There seems to be some problems with detection and wrong naming
sometimes but they can be solved with minor tricks  mentioned in these
links. In short it is solved by adding bnx2 in /etc/modules and an ifup
later and the the nameing error is solved with udev just as poster says
in the listed mail above. When You do the install use a full cd image
and later fix the nic issue.

http://www.engardelinux.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=503&sid=e18934fcf3fa20604581e2d277f23c93

I havent done this myself.But latest dells and debian should work,
although with some research needed. We dont want RH and SLES have all
the hardware candy :-)

regards
//Peter

--