Re: Draft release notes and errata for RC1 - please comment

On Sat, Nov 11, 2006 at 09:34:31AM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:

> >   auto-configuring keyboard settings from SRM does not work.

> I don't understand what this means in practical terms. Could you
> elaborate? Does it only affect the installer or installed systems too?
> Any way to work around it?
> Is this a new issue or an existing one? Is it something to include in the
> release notes for Etch too?

It's a new issue vs. the sarge installer; a change in the /proc interface
since sarge causes a bug in the srm_env module which prevents reading the
keyboard map value from SRM, which was previously used to pre-populate the
settings in the installer.  This may not be worth mentioning, and anyway
it should be fixed in RC2, since the fix has been committed to the debian
kernel tree.

> >   installation on systems running AlphaBIOS is not supported.

> AFAIK this was already included in the RN for Sarge and is still included
> in the draft for Etch, so I don't think this needs to be repeated.

Fair enough.

> > On this last point, I've been discussing with Jay Estabrook at HP, who
> > thinks it would be useful for Debian to support a MILO-bootable kernel
> > image on our install media even though we aren't shipping MILO itself.
> > The appropriately-configured kernel image exists in our archive as
> > linux-image-2.6.18-2-alpha-legacy; is there time in between RC1 and RC2
> > for me to throw this flavor together for d-i and get it included on the
> > CDs?

> I would say yes, but please do so ASAP. The changes to debian-cd should
> only be made when we start preparing RC2 unless they can be done in such
> a way that they don't break weekly builds for RC1.

Ok.  I'll wait for resolution of the msync LSB issue in the kernel (which
looks like it will probably require another kernel ABI bump) and then upload
the udebs to unstable for shaking out.

Cheers,