Re: Draft release notes and errata for RC1 - please comment

On Friday 10 November 2006 17:16, Sven Luther wrote:
> First, a question, does this apply to the rc1 also, or to the expected
> final version ? If we are going to release debian with 2.6.17, there
> are half a dozen issues which will need to be mentioned in the erratas
> i guess.

I think the title of my email makes that quite clear.

>  - You say : Airport Extreme driver is reported to be broken in 2.6.16
> (#358833)

Removed.

>  - you have two entries about oldworld powermacs floppy installs :
>
>    floppy installations for powerpc are broken because no device node
> is created for the swim3 module
>
>    Oldworld powerpc boot floppies will not work as miboot is not
> included
>
>    This wording is abysmal in confusion. And maybe they could be

"Abysmal in confusion"? Please use more neutral wording in future,
e.g: "IMHO the wording could be improved". Although it is not even proper
English, this is fairly insulting.

Any confusion and lack of progress on these issues is because of the
general lack of interest from the powerpc community. Note that as far as
I'm concerned this has little or nothing to do with the "conflict" with
you; it is more a general problem with the powerpc port.
(Please don't reply to this as it won't help anything. I already know how
you feel about this.)

Anyway, I have modified the text somewhat.

>  - works only on some PowerPC systems (most ATI graphics cards)

I've modified the wording.

> We could also mention architecture support changes :
>
>   - PowerPC: dropped support for powerpc/apus.
>   - PowerPC: Added support for 64bit PowerPC architectures (IBM
> pSeries, Apple G5 powermacs).
>   - PowerPC: not supported : Apple Nubus and IBM pre-power5 Iseries.
>
> Well, to be complete, one could have the list of supported subarches
> too :
>
>   - Apple newworld and G5 powermacs
>   - IBM CHRP machines (RS6K, pseries, iseries, ...)
>   - Genesi CHRP machines (Pegasos, maybe Efika)
>   - PReP machines (IBM 43P-140, Motorola PowerStack, ...)

The above is something for the Etch release notes, not for the RC1 release
notes. Please file a bug report against the 'release-notes' pseudo
package with a proposed text.

If prep is supported again with RC2 we could mention that in the RC2
release notes.

Cheers,
FJP