Re: Dictionaries-common prompts users FIVE times during a default French desktop install

On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 03:54:34PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Tuesday 03 October 2006 07:16, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > While testing D-I with the install of the desktop task in French
> > language, I have noticed that there are several successive prompts for
> > dictionaries settings:
> >
> > -first choose between American English and "handle symlinks youself"
> > -then choose between American English, "francais" and "handle symlinks
> > youself"
> > -then choose between "francais", "francais GUTenberg" and "handle
> > symlinks youself"
> > -then choose between "ameriucan English", "francais", "francais
> > GUTenberg" and "handle symlinks youself"
> > -finally  choose between "american English", "british", "francais",
> > "francais GUTenberg" and "handle symlinks youself"
>
> I have been seeing the same for a _long_ time now even with a basic
> English installation. I reported this in my mail to d-i18n [1].

Surprisingly I can only understand the above if

a) localization-config is initially used for ispell dicts default value
   pre-seeding or dictionaries-common is installed first without any
   ispell dict.
b) lang tasks are installed each after the previous one is fully installed

There is still something that completely puzzles me. Does none of the above
tasks install a wordlist? If so, problem should be exactly the same.

More surprises, my reply was sent this morning, but has not yet reached the
list archive. I suppose it is some bottleneck on the way, but just in case,
I am bcc'ing you. Sorry for the duplicates. Will resend my reply if tomorrow
is not there.

> Note that this has nothing to do with localization-config as that is
> currently _not used_ during installations.

Sorry, I understood that localization-config was not being used for ispell
dicts selection, not that it was not used at all. If is not used things
are different, ... but I can understand your description better if it is
used :-(.

> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2006/09/msg00234.html

I did not reply to you directly because I supposed you read debian-i18n,
just to the list

http://lists.debian.org/debian-i18n/2006/09/msg00238.html

Does d-i still uses debian-installer/{language,country}? dictionaries-common
code relies on them. Also, when is dictionaries-common installed in d-i? It
should be pulled by ispell-dicts or wordlists, not installed first.

--
Agustin [Not subscribed to debian-boot]