Re: call for testers: powerpc graphical debian installer

Sven Luther wrote:
On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 03:30:12PM +0200, shookie@email.de wrote:

Ok, thank you first for your answer. I don't need pcmcia on a server, so I'll give it a try., since those you can actually deactivate in the install process.

One thing, is that this only applies to 2.6.18, while the images are 2.6.17
based yet.

Now my test runs, took longer than I thought.
First I messed up 2 cds  by burning them withou yaboot and yaboot.conf and boot.msg. I took the ones from the netinst directories then. Also I needed to start via open-firmware ... but that are the small issues.

Why nto just burn the mini.iso, which contains all you need ?

First my hardware (from the os x panel) (CPU, graphic card and memory should be enough info I guess):

Hardware Overview:

 Machine Name:	Power Mac G5
 Machine Model:	PowerMac7,3
 CPU Type:	PowerPC G5  (3.0)
 Number Of CPUs:	2
 CPU Speed:	1.8 GHz
 L2 Cache (per CPU):	512 KB
 Memory:	1.5 GB
 Bus Speed:	900 MHz
 Boot ROM Version:	5.1.8f7

GeForce FX 5200:

 Chipset Model:	GeForce FX 5200

Cool, this are nvidia ones. I would be interested in knowing what /proc/fb has
to say when you have this one booted.

Yep: Jen, we need to know output of

cat /proc/fb
lspci |grep VGA
cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep mainboard

to add your box to the database

Jan, please tell us if u can get g-i working on your box by doing this

-enter "install DEBIAN_FRONTEND=newt" at bootprompt
-switch to VT2
-echo disable-module=nvidia >>/etc/directfbrc
-export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=gtk
-debian-installer

thanks

Attilio