Re: call for testers: powerpc graphical debian installer

Ok, thank you first for your answer. I don't need pcmcia on a server, so I'll give it a try., since those you can actually deactivate in the install process.

Now my test runs, took longer than I thought.
First I messed up 2 cds  by burning them withou yaboot and yaboot.conf and boot.msg. I took the ones from the netinst directories then. Also I needed to start via open-firmware ... but that are the small issues.

First my hardware (from the os x panel) (CPU, graphic card and memory should be enough info I guess):

Hardware Overview:

  Machine Name:	Power Mac G5
  Machine Model:	PowerMac7,3
  CPU Type:	PowerPC G5  (3.0)
  Number Of CPUs:	2
  CPU Speed:	1.8 GHz
  L2 Cache (per CPU):	512 KB
  Memory:	1.5 GB
  Bus Speed:	900 MHz
  Boot ROM Version:	5.1.8f7

GeForce FX 5200:

  Chipset Model:	GeForce FX 5200
  Type:	Display
  Bus:	AGP
  Slot:	SLOT-1
  VRAM (Total):	64 MB
  Vendor:	nVIDIA (0x10de)
  Device ID:	0x0321
  Revision ID:	0x00b1
  ROM Revision:	2060
  Displays:
Cinema Display:
  Display Type:	LCD
  Resolution:	1680 x 1050
  Depth:	32-bit Color
  Core Image:	Supported
  Main Display:	Yes
  Mirror:	Off
  Online:	Yes
  Quartz Extreme:	Supported
Display:
  Status:	No display connected

DIMM0/J11:

  Size:	512 MB
  Type:	DDR SDRAM
  Speed:	PC3200U-30330
  Status:	OK

DIMM1/J12:

  Size:	512 MB
  Type:	DDR SDRAM
  Speed:	PC3200U-30330
  Status:	OK

DIMM2/J13:

  Size:	256 MB
  Type:	DDR SDRAM
  Speed:	PC3200U-30330
  Status:	OK

DIMM3/J14:

  Size:	256 MB
  Type:	DDR SDRAM
  Speed:	PC3200U-30330
  Status:	OK

First I tried the 64 bit image:

booted kernel ok, but then got stuck in a black screen with the cursor in top left corner.
if I tried if of-only it got stuck with a black screen with no cursor in top left corner.
The fans beheaved normally though (the usually get into overdrive when I start the installer in text mode).

Then the 32 bit image (which should fail I guess):

booted kernel ok, but then suddenly jumps back into open-firmware with a memory violation. I couldn't read it quickly enough, since it spammed newlines. The same happened with of-only.

Regards

Jan Schukat