Re: Netinst.iso with Kernel 2.6.18-1-486

(Please reply only to the mailing list. We read it.)

On Monday 02 October 2006 00:41, Matthias Popp wrote:
> Am Samstag 30 September 2006 18:17 schrieb Frans Pop:
> > On Saturday 30 September 2006 17:39, Matthias Popp wrote:
> > > I have build a netinst.iso with kernel 2.6.18-1-k7. It seems the cd
> > > is ok. But some parts are extremly  slow .  I look into the
> > > /var/log/syslog and found more than 1000 lines from this in it.
> > >
> > > Intel ISA PCIC Probe: not found
> > >
> > > It was the same Problem on two pc. One PC with a AMD Duron without
> > > ISA Slots. Only PCI . And one pc  processor  AMD K6 with 3 isa Slot
> > > and 3 pci slots.
> >
> > This seems to indicate a kernel bug in 2.6.18. Please file a bug
> > report against the kernel. I'd suggest you try to reproduce the bug
> > on an installed system first though.
>
> I think this is not a kernel bug, but i have found a solution. The
> problem was pcmcia.
>
> I have found this in google
>------------------------------------------- Intel ISA PCIC probe: not
> found. PM: Removing info for platform:i82365.0 Databook TCIC-2 PCMCIA
> probe: not found. ACPI: PCI Interrupt Link [LNKH] enabled at ...
>
> Then I start the installer with this  "install
> hw-detect/start_pcmcia=false"

This is not a solution, but a workaround. Something is still flooding the
syslog with messages when it should not.
Does your system have pcmcia or not?

It still seems to be a kernel bug to me as the message you are seeing
endlessly repeated comes from the module pcmcia/i82365.ko:
./i82365.c:1283:    printk(KERN_INFO "Intel ISA PCIC probe: ");

Please file a bug report against linux-2.6 with the information from this
thread.

Cheers,
FJP