Re: allow people to learn

On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 03:29:06PM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> Op 01-10-2006 om 14:40 schreef **** ****:
> > On Sun, Oct 01, 2006 at 12:34:30PM +0200, **** **** wrote:
> > > tags 382628 + pending
> > > thanks
> > >
> > > I've now committed this patch too, with a few minor modifications:
> > > - there were some changes in pkg-lists recently for powerpc (no more
> > >   separate files for powerpc64);
> > > - I've removed the "subarch" level in the config dir as ppc64 does
> > >   not have any subarches.
> > >
> > > Please check that the current setup in SVN works.
> > >
> > > AFAIK patches from all bug reports requesting ppc64 support have now been
> > > applied. Please let me know if we've forgotten something.
> >
> > Notice that cdrom64 and netboot64 have gone away (patch from me, commited by
> > Colin Watson), and the powerpc64 flavours are now building from the main
> > netboot/cdrom config options, but i guess you noticed that, and applied the
> > patches from Andreas to the cdrom/netboot dirs.
>

> I can see there are best intension with the previous E-mail,
> but I can't see why it was posted.

Because i looked at the patch, and it was doing the wrong thing, since it was
probably written before we fixed the cdrom64/netboot64 thingy. I wanted to
make sure that it was applied right, and since Frans did commit it, i
attracted his attention on this issue.

What could ever be wrong with that ?

> The thing I would like to see is that we allow people to learn.
> That means give them room/space to do something. They can read/fetch
> sources and rebuild. If they build something that doesn't work,
> they will ask why and at some point they will ask the ML why it doesn't
> work.

What as this to do with anything ? I doubt Frans has anything to learn from me
about d-i, or at least wants to, and i just want to share my knowledge of the
situation of the powerpc port to make sure he didn't overlook a potential
problem, knowing well enough that with the current d-i powerpc port status, if
i don't attract attention on potential breakage and things break, it will
probably be weeks before anyone notices, and it will probably be me noticing.

> That is the point where we _can help_ learning.
>
> Trying to help sooner is wrong.

Do you really imagine Frans asking for my advice on the mailing list ? In the
current state of things ?

> My request is to help when actual help is asked.

And let this stuff be broken in the meanwhile ?

I think you misunderstood what i was doing, and you also failed to notice i
was addressing Frans, not Andreas Jochens.

BTW, Wouter, what ever happened to the powerpc64_cdrom builds ? They don't
seem to be built anymore on your daily builds, and those are the ones needed
for the iso builds.

Friendly,

Sven Luther