Re: partman-auto menu reorg and default item

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 09:21, David Härdeman wrote:
> On Tue, September 5, 2006 22:52, Christian Perrier said:
> > Quoting Joey Hess (joeyh@debian.org):
> >> partitioning themselves. I think this default should be changed back
> >> to autopartitioning the first disk.
> >
> > Seconded, of course.
> >
> > How did that happen? I would guess this was by accident because such
> > action (reordering partman menu) has never been discussed.
>
> I'm the culprit :)

I'm partially to blame too as I originally suggested moving the option to
the top, but that was without the 2-level split. With the split there is
probably no reason as long as the option for manual partitioning is still
shown on the first screen.
(At the time I _did_ mention though that the default should be preserved.)

Some comments on the reorg:

- It seems like the menu has only been split into two levels for LVM and
not for regular partitioning. IMO this is inconsistent.

- The device selection dialog is currently also shown when there is only
one disk. I suggest leaving it like that for now so that users at least
see how many disks have been detected and which one they are selecting.

- The dialog for removal of existing LVM volumes is also shown when doing
regular partitioning (which seems correct), but is somewhat confusing in
that case because it says "The selected device _already_ contains ...".
The "already" does not make sense when you are not partitioning using LVM.

Cheers,
FJP