Re: RFC: countrychooser and IP location

On Sunday 10 September 2006 17:51, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Robert Millan (rmh@aybabtu.com):
> > I think it'd be nice if IP location would be used to check user input
> > from country chooser.  The main advantage is that "auto" installs get
> > the right mirror selected.
> >
> > My proposal is to get the iplocation data as soon as we have network,
> > then check it against user input and if different ask the user wether
> > to replace its old country selection (default to yes so that "auto"
> > activates it).
>
> Who will maintain the reference table?
>
> Does this *really* answer to a need or do we believe that users are
> unable to know where they're located?

I agree with these questions and also feel that this is a feature that
should not be considered before the release of Etch. The installer is
effectively frozen for non-essential changes.

Feel free to submit a wishlist bugreport with the patch so it can be
revisited after the release of Etch.

Note that a somewhat similar (possibly wilder) idea floating around for
the graphical installer is to allow users to click their country on a map
(which should be fun for relatively small countries and with ever
changing borders in some parts of the world ;-)

Cheers,
FJP