Re: non-free firmware and d-i

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 07:02:18PM -0400, Rick Thomas wrote:

> On Sep 7, 2006, at 3:05 PM, Joey Hess wrote:
>
> >This won't be practical. They are just udebs, but they have complex
> >interdependencies and we can't expect users to pick the right set of
> >udebs to put on a driver floppy that both supports all the hardware
> >they
> >need to support and fit in its limited space. For example, the i386
> >cd-drivers floppy contained 19 udebs.
> >
> >The situation may be much simpler in some cases if the particular
> >driver
> >media only needs to include one or two udebs containing kernel
> >firmware,
> >but that's no reason to break the current driver floppies.
>
> Is there some fundamental reason why there must be only one (or two?
> {network and CD}) drivers floppy that contains everything?  Is it
> possible to publish instructions for creating a "supplemental
> drivers" floppy that has the (one or a few) extra udebs needed for

The powerpc boot floppies already included more than one floppy, if i remember
well. Apart from the first floppy holding the ramdisk, the rest are only
grouped together with regard the space constraints.

My plan for kernel .udebs would have allowed much better granularity here, but
then i will again be accused of following a personal agenda for just
mentioning it, so ...

Friendly,

Sven Luther