Re: Beta-3 Etch install avoiding commandline?

Joey Hess wrote:
[ ... ]

synaptic is included in the desktop task. Certian installation methods
(notably, using the full-size CD and no additional mirror) won't include
synaptic since it doesn't fit on the CD. Most other installation methods
(DVDs or anything involving a mirror) will include synaptic.
That is really good news! Thanks.
Ideally, there should also be tasks for installing Gnome, KDE and Xfce desktops.

There are (the xfce desktop task is not included in mainline yet). The
installation manual explains how to manually force the installer to use
a different desktop than the standard gnome desktop. (Basically, you
boot with tasksel/first=kde-desktop)
Do you mean the development version of the installation manual (http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/en.i386/ch05s02.html)? I can't seem to find this boot parameter in section 5.1 or in the help screens on the d-i beta3 CD.

It seems that you are saying that in a working version of tasksel, 'Desktop environment' will install X, Gnome and Synaptic, but that it can be forced to install KDE instead by using a boot parameter. tasksel 2.54 is in Unstable. I'll try again when it reaches Testing.

Thanks,
Chris.