Re: Switch to 2.6.17 kernel udebs (was: D-I Beta 3 - release today)

On Friday 11 August 2006 17:09, Rick Thomas wrote:
> Will this fix the problem of the kernel not booting on OldWorld
> PowerPC Macintosh?

Hello Rick,

I'm sorry, but I honestly don't know. It sounds to me that there has been
a regression in the kernel that results in your system not booting any
more. It will be good to test when images become available so we know for
certain. I expect powerpc daily builds to switch to 2.17 sometime later
this week.

Holger Levsen reported on August 9:
> The image from there from the 23rd of July worked for me on a g3
> oldworld, so give it a try.
>
> Some time after that the miboot build broke, it should be working again
> since  August, the 4th (iirc), but I haven't had the time to test that
> myself.

This seems to contradict this report, which may be related to your
experience:

I wonder if this could be related to the amount of memory the box has. It
might be worth comparing this for working and non-working boxes.

Currently there are plenty of people reporting issues for powerpc
oldworld, but nobody seems to be working on tracing or fixing them. As
I've indicated before, the effort for that needs to come from the powerpc
community in Debian.

As far as I can tell none of the issues are fixable in the installer, but
I cannot really judge that in all cases. Someone who is able to do that
should reassign the bugs to the packages that are causing the issues (in
a lot of cases I would expect that to be the kernel).

Cheers,
FJP