Re: General question

On 31/07/06, Hans-J. Ullrich <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:
Dear developers,
Hello Hans

I would be pleased, if you could tell me your thoughts about some points,
which came in my mind.

1. In the past I discovered the project "FAI" by Thomas Lange and changed it
to the possibility to install not as Thomas` version Debian sarge, but Debian
etch (and sid,too). Everything worked just fine. So my idea was, to implement
this famous tool into the installer as an option, to get a fast installation
for newcomers.  I imagine it as a standard installation, where the newbie
will get a ready system, which he only has to fine tune.
What do you think, should this kind of option be integrated in the future ?

There is preseeding which should automate installations for as many
cases as you may want. But, OTOH, I think it would be useful to add
some means to select at boot time one of "newbie scheme", "mail server
scheme", "desktop scheme" ... etc.

This way, it would be really easy to put on the splash screen
soemthing like "Type <<fast install>> for a fast and simple desktop
installation" - which should install a desktop newbie system.

Note that, generally the defaults chosen in the installer are prety
decent and in most cases you will need to adjust questions' priority
minimal level that needs to be shown.

2.  Tasksel: To use of tasksel is very fine I think. But what I really miss is
the option to choose different profiles like: Desktop, Webserver, Mailserver,
Development etc. I saw an example on the Debian ct` server CD, which was
Hmm, such tasks exist, at least for "desktop", "laptop" and "file server", iirc.

Please understand my intention: To install Debian is a peace of cake for me,
but for a very newcomer it should be as easy as it could be. A newcomer even
does not know, what is a partition (primary ????? logical ????) , he does not
know anything about IP or MBR.
That's why automated partitioning exists (question for others, is
"automated paritioning in free space" an option currently present in
partman?).

Also THE MANUAL has very good explanations about such things AND it
can be browsed on a "jump to interesting item" fashion.

The knowledge will appear later, when he has used Debian for a while.

--
Regards,
EddyP