Image version: < http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/sparc/iso-cd/debian-testing-sparc-netinst.iso 31 Jul 06>
Date: <31 Jul 06 1800GMT>

Machine: <Sun Sparc Ultra 10>
Processor: 330Mhz Ultra
Memory: 256 Mb
Partitions: <1 IDE HDD previously formatted by Sarge. (/, /home, swap)>

Output of lspci and lspci -n: N/A

Base System Installation Checklist:
[O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it

Initial boot worked:    [E ]
Configure network HW:   [ ]
Config network:         [ ]
Detect CD:              [ ]
Load installer modules: [ ]
Detect hard drives:     [ ]
Partition hard drives:  [ ]
Create file systems:    [ ]
Mount partitions:       [ ]
Install base system:    [ ]
Install boot loader:    [ ]
Reboot:                 [ ]

Comments/Problems:

I booted the CD, and then selected the standard 'install' at the boot prompt.  Some (non-error) text scrolled up the screen, and then the install froze at "Booting linux....."  I also tried the 'expert' install, with the same result.

I also have this problem with Ubuntu.  The only installations that I have succeeded with, are the distros based on a 2.4 kernel (eg, Aurora, Sarge, Gentoo).

<Description of the install, in prose, and any thoughts, comments
      and ideas you had during the initial install.>