Re: OldWorld Mac-specific problems; perhaps drop?

Hi,

On Thursday 13 July 2006 04:20, Daniel Dickinson wrote:
> I beg to differ.  The manual for sarge didn't mention miboot floppies
> at all (because they're non-free and apparently can't even be in
> non-free).  CD booting doesn't work on old world (requires non-free
> apple boot code), and netboot only works with built-in ethernet cards
> (and not on all systems with them).  That leaves BootX, which was also
> non-free, but didn't require debian directly use it (unlike the miBoot
> floppies).

By the logic not to mention non-free stuff, BootX shouldn't be mentioned in
the manual as well :-P

And that netboot only works with built-in ethernet cards is not a reason to
drop oldworld, afaik most (but at least many) oldworld machines have build-in
ethernet cards ("just" not your machine), but I'm too lazy to check
apple-history.com to verify if it's "most" or "many" :)

Also, as repeatedly written here, there _is_ ongoing work to free miboot _and_
to make quik capable of booting from floppy.

(And, but I dont see this as realistic as fixing miboot and/or quik, netbsd
supports CD booting on some oldworld models - so there are free
implementations for that.)

regards,
	Holger