Horrible performance: hdparm

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 06:10:37PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Rich Johnson wrote:
> > Judging from the lackadaisical disk LED activity, I doubt it's the disk.
>
> Disk issues can lead to apparently low disk activity in some situations,
> and it's the first thing I'd check: Make sure that DMA is on, make sure
> that hdparm is optimally tuned, etc.
>
> --
> see shy jo

If installation guru has to tell this, is not it time to make this as
default?

We have written out 386 machines.  It may be a time to assume decent DMA
support (Of couse with some boot option to disable it just in case.)

What does people feel to make hdparm with DMA enabled to be default for
etch?

Osamu