Re: User's guide to partman-crypto

Hi all,

On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 08:15:01PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> On Sunday 02 July 2006 16:58, Miroslav Kure wrote:
> > 7.2.1. loop-AES
> >
> > For partitions encrypted via loop-AES you will be shown the following
> > prompt during the boot:
> >
> > mount: going to use loop device /dev/loopX
> > Password:
> >
> > where X is some number. You are now probably asking yourself which
> > volume are you actually entering the passphrase for. Does is relate to

About the prompt for loop-AES volumes: There is an init script
that is supposed to losetup and fsck loop devices during the boot.
It shows a prompt like :

  Setting up $loop ($mnt)
  Passphrase:

It could be that at the time you tested it, loop-aes-utils
2.12r-11 had not yet migrated to testing, which would explain why
a prompt without the mountpoint was shown. The above prompt is
what should happen with the new version.

> Maybe this could be moved up a bit: just after "You are now probably
> wondering..."
> It could then be:
> "Of course, if you have just one encrypted volume, this is easy and you
> can just enter the passphrase you used when setting up this volume."
>
> Followed by:
> "If you set up more than one encrypted volume during the installation, the
> notes you wrote down ..."

I hope this is addressed with the migration of loop-aes-utils
2.12r-11 to testing and that we can drop mention of this problem.
I'll verify with a test install.

Thanks everyone for your work on this!

cheers,
Max