Re: HACKALERT - partman-crypto-placeholder (was: d-i memory requirements)

On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 10:00:08PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
On Saturday 01 July 2006 17:53, Frans Pop wrote:
I've drawn some conclusions for myself based on this data, but am
curious what others think.

Here's one of the ideas I had to reduce the current memory requirements of the installer.

Instead of installing partman-crypto itself and all its dependencies, only install a "placeholder" udeb that contains just enough functionality to be able to show the basic options to the user (if the system has sufficient memory) and that pulls in the "real" partman-crypto (with its total of 2.5 MB of dependencies) only if the user actually selects it.

Cool idea, but perhaps partman-crypto could be modified to do the same, and the dependencies from partman-crypto on partman-crypto-loop and partman-crypto-dm could be dropped (and anna-install used during runtime instead)?