Reboot in d-i (Was: Re: sarge3 kernel build & r3)

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 08:53:34AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> installations which has only really been tested for i386. The real
> downside of using the Etch installer for Sarge is that, although a
> current kernel will be used for the installation, it will still install
> 2.6.8 for the target system (it does not use any backports).
>
> This means that there is a relatively high chance that the user will
> experience problems on the reboot into the target system.

I never understood why it is necessary to reboot the system after installation.
I remember that many years ago SuSE (don't know current status) just chrooted
into the installed system. That's also nice compared to other commercial
systems which required 10 or more reboots until they were ready (current state
also unknown).

It may be useful to test the bootloader and makes it easier to upgrade the
kernel but is it required?

Jens