Re: sarge3 kernel build & r3

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 08:42:23PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>> Frans Pop <elendil@planet.nl> writes:
>>
>> > (Removed irrelevant CCs for this question)

>> > This is not really a problem.
>> >
>> > choose-mirror for Sarge will remain unchanged and thus keeps using the
>> > "unofficial" mirrors.
>> >
>> > For the next d-i beta release for Etch we'll make sure that the exceptions
>> > for AMD64 are removed from choose-mirror so the regular mirror lists will
>> > be used for AMD64 too (in fact, these changes are already done in the
>> > udeb currently in unstable and thus in the daily built images).
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > FJP
>>
>> I ment that when you select sarge in choose-mirror in expert mode you
>> get the inofficial list and if you choose etch/etch+1/sid you get the
>> official one.
>>
>> Might be too much work for a transient problem though.
>
> I thought that installing sarge with current etch installers is broken / not
> supported / whatever.
>
> Friendly,
>
> Sven Luther

It used to work and for many amd64 users nowadays it is the only way
to install a stable system due to needed hardware support in 2.6.12+
kernels. I think it would be a good idea to preserv/restore that
ability and to aim to support this for etch as well.

If using the testing images to install stable is not possible in the
future then we should seriously consider releasing images with newer
kernels in point releases or having D-I on backports.org.

MfG
        Goswin